Definitely not easy to figure out what to pack for few weeks, months or a year abroad travelling most continents. It might come handy to you too to know how to pack light and leave behind your wardrobes full of shoes and clothes you don’t wear. The good thing is that I am used to travel light from business trips and city breaks but for a trip around the world I needed also to get first hand experiences from well-travelled friends. The following are the products I will take with me. Yes, all in one bag is possible. The aim is to pack a bag under 12 kilos without spending a fortune.
You can also use this list as a basic for any of your travels for any lengths of time.
Pack the minimum and get ready to do some hand washing (or laundry if you stayed in hotels). You can always find or buy cheap clothing along the way. This is only for places with mild to warm temperatures.
- 4 thin and simple top
- 3 pairs of shorts. Avoid denim it takes a long time to line dry.
- 1 light cotton pant to travel with
- 1 pair of leggings
- 2 gym trousers (different lengths)
- 2 long tunic shirts or dresses
- 1 long-sleeved shirts for layering
- 1 thermal long sleeve
- 1 sarong for religious places and beaches
- 1 head scarf
- 6 pairs of comfortable underwear
- 4 pairs of thin, sport and boots socks
- 2 bras and 2 sport bras
- 2 bikinis
- 1 top and short for the night
- 1 pair of light trekking shoes
- 1 pair of flip-flops or sandals
- 1 fleece jacket
- 1 down jacket
- 1 fold-away raincoat
- Disposable dog poo bags to use as a litter
If you go to colder destinations swap your light clothes to one more long sleeved shirt and a warm trouser.
Although I’d like to escape from the Internet from time to time, I can’t live without them so I had to be very selective when come to electronic devices (these things can be heavy).
- 1 tablet or a small laptop with case. I have made the choice to take a Microsoft Surface Pro.
- 1 smart phone and earphones. The I-phone SE was my choice, no worries if I lose it.
- 1 USB memory stick or external drive but make sure you get yourself on the cloud and get a monthly subscription
- 1 GoPro Hero 6 with 1 SanDisk Extreme 64 SD car
- 1 Universal Adaptor with USB port
- 1 Phone waterproof pouch
- 1 hair removal device. I know ! but I don’t shave
That’s right, I did not take any camera other than my i-phone, check out my recommendation on cameras if you think you need one.
Don’t panic, you will be able to find basic toiletries easily on the road. For your travel get :
- 1 hair brush
- 1 travel size hairbrush
- 1 transparent hanging toiletry bag
- 1 solid shampoo bar
- 1 hair conditioner small bottle
- 1 face and body cleansing bar
- 1 waterproof soap pouch
- 1 magic mitt for your face
- 1 Face and body Nourishing oil
- Face and body Sun Cream
- 1 sun Lipstick
- 1 Toothbrush and toothpaste
- 1 pair of tweezers
- 1 pair of nail clippers
- 2 nails files
- 1 deodorant
- Cotton buds
- Makeup bag : 2 travel light bronzer, 1 application brush, 1 bright travel size lip and cheek tint, 1 mascara
- Head bands and hair grips
From experience you are more likely to use it so best to have what is needed so you can enjoy your time abroad. The information provided here is for general travel health advice and information only. I would strongly suggest you go to your doctor for a personal consultation.
- 1 tropical mosquito repellent
- 1 basic small travel first aid kit including plasters, gauze, surgical tape, antiseptic wipes and gloves for emergency
- Pain killer medicine like aspirin and paracetamol
- Tablets to stop diarrhoea (best to get constipation tablets on the way)
- Antihistamine tablets
- Antibacterial spray for scrape and cuts
- General antibiotics prescribed by your doctor for infections (not if you are allergic to penicillin)
- Water purifier tablets but best to drink bottled mineral water
- Anti-bacterial cream for small insects bites
- Aspivenin pump for insects and venomous species if like me you are allergic
- 1 hand sanitizer
Birth Control method. I had a intrauterine device inserted for this trip. You best check with your doctor
Make sure to take your prescriptions with you as you might be asked at customers and border controls.
JEWELLERY AND OTHERS ACCESSORIES
- No jewellery apart from a watch
- 1 pair of sunglasses
- 1 small money purse
- 300$ to get you started (in small notes)
- 1 international driving licence (including your local one)
- 1 Passport and a paper copy
- 6 Identity photos for visas
- 2 bank cards
- 1 Vaccines certificate with blood type
- 1 Pen
- Copy of your emergency contact details for any issues.
Travelling around the world means that you will have to take everything essential for your day to day life. It includes:
- 50L+10L Backpack with rain cover. I went for a Deuter backpack
- 10L day backpack
- 1 sleeping bag liner
- 1 Microfibre towel
- 1 Travel line and washing liquid
- 1 Headlamp
- 1 lock
- 6 packing cubes to organise and compress your clothing
- 1 travel sewing kit
- 2 spare batteries
- 1 pair of ear plugs
- 1 super glue
- 1 sellotape
In our case, as we are travelling on a budget we are also taking a tent. To add to the backpack :
For women packing too much feels better than packing too little as we always consider a wide range of possibilities but the most important part of your holidays is to keep you and your stuff safe and comfortable so you can enjoy. Pack light and pack clever.
Pack light and pack clever.
Pack light and pack clever with good equipment. You sleeping bag should not be more than 1kg, your tent no more than 2Kg for example.
If you want to avoid paying luggage fee with airlines, take less in a 40L backpack
Make sure the weight is spread across the bag not to damage your back